top of page

A Quick Guide to Universal Credit

With the imminent roll out of Universal Credit, we have included some tips that may help with the application process.

Gov.UK Verify – How to Access ‘’ on the Internet. Scroll down to ‘Check your pension’ and click it. Click on ‘Start now’. Click on ‘Create account’. Click on ‘Continue’. Scroll right down to ‘Create a verify account’ and click on it. Click on ‘Use verify’. Click on ‘This is my first time using verify’ and continue. Keep on clicking ‘next’ until you get to the section ‘Questions about you’. On completion of the answers about you, it populates the companies that can verify you based on the answers that were given about documentation.

What steps do I take now?

If you receive a Call to Action letter, do not ignore it!

You will need to apply for U.C. if your circumstances change, or you are already claiming U.C.

Step 1: Verify your identity via Gov.UK Verify. This needs to be done before you can put in a claim – follow the steps above.

Step 2: You need to make your claim online. Go to There are facilities listed below where you can access a computer.

Step 3: Make an appointment at the Jobcentre.

You must attend an appointment at the Jobcentre after submitting your claim online. Call 0800 328 9344 to make an appointment. Calls to this number are free.

Your claim will take 5 weeks to be processed, and is then paid monthly in arrears.

Service Directory
Computer Facilities: The Communiversity (Altcross Road, Croxteth) Norris Green Library Cobalt Digital Drop-In Sessions: Monday, 10am-12pm, Bridge Community Centre Tuesday, 10am-12pm, Porchfield Centre Wednesday, 1pm-3pm, Ellergreen Community Centre Thursday, 1pm-3pm, Fazakerley Community Library
West Derby Jobcentre Plus 416 Eaton Road, West Derby 0800 169 0190
Citizens Advice Bureau 0344 848 7700
Norris Green Debt Advice St. Teresa’s Parish House, Sedgemoor Road 0151 270 1688
Croxteth and Gilmoss Community Federation Mossway, Croxteth 0151 546 3974
Fazakerley Community Federation Formosa Drive, Fazakerley 0151 523 1073

Things to Know

📷 As a new claimant, you can can claim a 100% advance of your payment upfront. This will be deducted from your future UC payments over 6 to 12 months, at a maximum of 30%. To request an Advance Payment, call 0800 328 5644.

📷 If you don’t have photographic ID to complete the Verify process, the Jobcentre will pay for it for you. They will give you the money upfront and pay for birth certificates to enable you to get a driving licence. This can only be done by going through the Jobcentre directly.

11 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page